Wednesday 11 May 2011

Tips for Toddlers...... and big kids

Parenting toddlers tip no. 1
If you preminisce a potentially serious accident; remedy it before it becomes an accident.

Fortunately (today) for miss almost two, falling down the front steps while strapped into her carseat did not result in serious injury.  I found her face down, on the concrete, screaming, with a big, heavy lug of a carseat on top of her.  (why on earth don't they make those things a bit lighter?)

She does have some minor cosmetic ailments, but thankfully she is not 14 and does not care much for small scratches and bruises on her nose and cheek. 

I however, did stop breathing for a moment as I discovered that what I had just seen as a potential came true.  Hopefully she doesn't get a black eye or two- otherwise I might stop breathing every time I have to go to the supermarket for the next week.

Parenting toddlers tip no. 2:
Lengthy cuddles fix (almost) anything.  At least for my Princess Adelaide.

Parenting toddlers tip no. 3:
If the potential accident you preminisce is not dangerous and does not damage them or someone else - let them make it.

^^  This is my personal opinion - but I have seen the defects of over-cautious (what I like to call hover) parenting - and I'd much rather a secure little person who is prepared to take a risk - make a mistake, and try again.

Yes, I let her climb ladders that are way too high, with rungs far too narrow and far apart (I am a short distance away to catch assist if she needs it).  I let her eat dirt (if she really wants to) and play in the mud.  I let her pick up insects and so many other things. 

Yesterday, we played in the puddles and gutters in the pouring rain.  We did this as kids and I not once caught a cold.  (thank God for a sunny day today- to dry all the washing).

Parenting toddlers tip no. 4:
Have fun.  Cause when they have grown up, memories is all you have.  As well as hopefully some lovely well rounded adult kids and some grandkids to then 'hover' over.

2 comments:

  1. ouchies in the falling down the stairs...maybe put the carseat in the car first next time ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog, feel free to comment. All comments are approved pre-publish and all spam will be reported.