Monday 2 May 2011

Pregnancy 101 - #1

You know how it is - starting from early Monday am (or Sunday late pm if it's real bad), you long for Friday to arrive.  Living out the days, passing the time with whatever routines your week is filled with - as well as the additional extras.

Friday finally arrives, and the weekend seems to disappear in a blur of catching up with husband/wife, extended family, doing chores, outings because daddy's home, Sunday morn church, Sunday night too if you're extra committed, Friday night too if you're totally crazy (as we are) ;-).  Trying to squeeze in a bit of time for each other and then comes whatever else that is thrown in the mix.

That takes us right back to Monday morning.

I for anyone, am not an expert at dealing with life's mundane routines.  So, I am trying - to enjoy the moments.  Things like this:

Monday = clean house/do washing day

Tuesday = grocery shopping/toy library/visit Nana (my Mum) day

Wednesday = playcentre/free afternoon day

Thursday = visit Oma (my grandmother)/visit Grandma (my MIL) day

Friday = alternate coffee group/free day - usually with some form of visiting

Saturday = daddy's home day/date night/visit his grandparents/everything else

Sunday = church day/sometimes free afternoon

Not to mention the numerous frequent night activities/practices/meetings that are attended by either of us.

Sometimes I am a shocker for longing for the years with the "little people" to go by.  I look forward to getting back to some form of paid employment, and then on to having teenagers who are more independent - but I'm sure they still require a great deal of time.  I look forward to it one day being "just the two of us" again.

Maybe that is the price I pay for having children while I'm young.   I think it's more to do with the things that are in our hearts for the future.  The hubster and I have big dreams - and we find a struggle often goes on between living for our dreams and parenting.  I have come to realise there is a fine line, and if it is not walked wisely - family will always pay the price.  That is not a price he or I am willing to pay.

Anyway, the point is - if I slow down just a bit - then my Monday (house clean day) can become a treasure.  Not because of the chores, but because of all the bits in between.  The seconds, the minutes and the hours that I can fill in with fun - and make special memories.

Confession: I have NOT been enjoying this pregnancy.  I have been longing for it to be over so I can "have my body back" and enjoy my little prince.  I AM ONLY 25 WEEKS!



Then I realised, I only have around 15 weeks left before life is going to change FOREVER - again.  My sidekick and I only have a short time left before we become a three - and I'm sure sometimes it will feel like three is really a crowd.

So, I'm back at the beginning again.  I'm not a clucky sort, I don't enjoy being pregnant.  I do enjoy thinking about my baby and feeling him move.  That's about where it ends.  BUT, I'm going to try hard to enjoy the last 15 weeks!

Stay tuned. x

6 comments:

  1. I have decided that my dreams will include my kids...not be independent from them. I had selfish parents and now look back and feel we were somehow tacked on to their lives.
    Enjoy this time... I would choose pregnancy over that drastic few months of going from one child to two. Pray your blossom maintains her afternoon nap when the baby comes...otherwise gone is the catch up sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really good. For us it's more dreaming about the things we can do right now with them - even while they're little. And doing those things, while keeping them as our priority. There's no way I could get to where I'm headed, without doing a good job at raising my own family.
    I'm looking forward to the first few months after baby gets here - I know well that it's going to be hard but I feel much more prepared and in a better head-space this time around :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arna-lise I LOVE reading your blog. Sometimes your thoughts are my own...I am not as cut out for the early years as I used to think, and I too long for more independance and older children. I think alot of mothers have moments like these, its all normal and a part of coping with the day to day stuff that sometimes...seems like groundhog day! Some days am wondering why I am doing it to myself once again! But I know once she gets here, life will settle again and we will love our newest addition and teh different track life will take going from one child to two - and enjoy those early days again....in saying that as much as I long for it to come sometimes, I will also dread Mat going off to school, and am making the most of me and him time while I can. I feel very much in limbo at the moment, alsmost as tho "waiting" for something, but dont know quite what...hormones...they are a blessing and a curse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always chuckle as I now know that God's perfect way for preparing us for His plans involve a tonne of sand paper ministry - i.e. marriage & kids! Make the most of it and enjoy the process. You are such a great mum (and put me to shame with your regular grandparent visiting!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stacey Wilson2 May 2011 at 14:49

    I love your week plan - we just sat down and made one tonight (its a bit tough with shift work!) Thanks for encouraging me to enjoy this time before kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good on you for trying to stay positive! It can sometimes be hard when you can see where you want to be, to enjoy the here and now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog, feel free to comment. All comments are approved pre-publish and all spam will be reported.