Monday 21 January 2013

The best job in the world...

My check in for the week.

Tuesday is weigh in/measure day.

I hate doing it on a Tuesday.  I am a Monday girl.  Start the week, weigh in and measure.  But when I started my new eating plan I quit the junk on Monday and started Tuesday.

I am one of those people who says, oh well, it's Tuesday, I will start on Monday - and then spends the rest of the week over-indulging knowing that I am supposed to start eating good come Tuesday.  This time I just bit the bullet and began.  I can't force myself to weigh in a day early to get to a Monday weigh in.  I'm a bit pedantic. hehe.

Anyway, I have lost another 1.3kg and a few more cm from the main parts of my body.

I still haven't mastered the exercise, but kindy resumes tomorrow and I'm hoping to find a 30 minute out each morning after kindy drop off to pile the boys into the pram and go for a walk. 

My eldest baby is starting morning kindy tomorrow!  People always tell you when you have littlies, time goes so fast.  It hardly ever feels like it at the time.  But when the day rolls over and your child enters the education system, even if its a half day, 5 days a week - you suddenly realise, time actually DOES go fast.

And as the littlest one looks up at me with his big blue eyes, I can't help but think that this stage of life, with babies in arms, needing lots of time, cuddles in laps, being brought crumpled flowers, having full, clean dishracks pulled off the bench to the floor... tornado worthy destruction in and out of the house every day, kids at my ankles, never ending hungry tummies and a little bit of chaos in every waking moment - it's short.  And you know what - it's a lot of fun.  It is totally worth it.

People have looked at me a bit sideways, seeing me out and about - I probably look like chaos on legs.  A 3 year old in the near distance, chasing a daring toddler and lugging a capsule along for the ride.  Someone commented about how busy I look...I just looked around with a big grin and said "I LOVE it!"

I have never felt more settled, more content and more happy in my role as a mum of little ones than I do right now.  My babies are beautiful, they make me laugh, they drive me wild, but they are SO awesome.  I have taken a long time to feel like this part of my life is ok.  This is what I'm doing, and it's ok.  In fact, it's good.

The pay isn't great, and as for rewards - it's incomparative to the business world which I clung to, now some 4 years ago.  It might be 5 minutes of quiet for a coffee on the deck, a big cheeky grin, watching someone master a new tunnel or height that they haven't yet scaled, say a new word or sleep an extra hour at night, a big sloppy kiss or just to play nicely with the other sibling for 10 minutes - but the real rewards are eternal.

These are artworks, but they carry their own brushes.  I must provide the materials, the paint, the studio for the beginning stages - but at some point, they will be displayed in the great exhibition of life. The strokes that they make with their brushes will be those that shape their worlds, and more so, change their worlds and the worlds of others. 

The investment requirement is 100%. All or nothing.  The hours are long, with a permanent on-call basis, the job description ever changing, task-list never ending.  Seems a crazy business deal. 
You don't quite realise what you've signed up for when the contract first arrives, even though you've read ALL the small print.

But the best job on earth? Some days, I think it comes pretty close.



2 comments:

  1. I love the artwork you're doing ;-) Good on you super-mum xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep -its so woth it, mess and all! Even though ours are getting older, we still feel like a sideshow whem we are out and about! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog, feel free to comment. All comments are approved pre-publish and all spam will be reported.