Friday 25 November 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

So, you might remember from this post, that I've always wanted to celebrate thanksgiving.




In September I extended an invitation to two of our friends, to see if they wanted to join us in celebrating it together.  They were most obliging (I think it was knowing they would be partaking of a feast by my hands that won them over).

So we had either Monday 10th October - Canadian Thanksgiving, or Thurs 24 Nov - American Thanksgiving - to choose from.

I googled a traditional menu, and accustomed it a bit to suit us "Kiwi's" -

Menu:

  • Stuffed, roasted chicken (instead of turkey)
  • Roasted vegetables
  • Green salad
  • Green veges
  • Pecan slice (instead of pie)
  • Pumpkin pie
  • Iced tea
  • Wine



Let's just say, it was a load of cooking, but a most enjoyable evening!








The beautiful thing about it - was that none of us have had a fantastic year this year - but we all had plenty of deep things to be greatful for.  I mean, for each of us, the year has had many wonderful high points - but underlying these have been many difficulties and challenges.

Some of our thankful things.... life, our marriage partners, our children, our extended families, our church families, our friendship, our homes, where we have been taken this year - and so many other things.

I'm pretty sure we've settled that it's a tradition from now on.  Maybe next year I'll kiwi-fy it instead of going with the American feast!  You know, pavalova topped with fresh strawberries & chocolate - and all the rest!


And in the words of my friend as they left - there goes another 4 1/2 hours - just flying past.  Great company.


What things are you thankful for?

4 comments:

  1. I just heard all about this tonight!! The pumpkin pie sounds delicious and I've always wanted to try making one. Love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll post the recipe I used this week - quite nice, but not sure I'm totally convinced! My mum makes this delicious pumpkin cake - and I think that tops it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Looks like a fabulous nite xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog, feel free to comment. All comments are approved pre-publish and all spam will be reported.